17.10.11

Austin Awsomeness

I don't usually blog about training etc but this is an exception I feel. After some issues with being 'positive' or so i'm told (yes I'm in need of a good sports psych at present!), life is pretty unreal right about now. It still doesn't feel real!

I left Anderson, SC on Thursday morning after training in a few days of pretty ordinary weather after the race there last weekend. Off to Austin to staying with the incredible Pak family. I had briefly met Bliss, Minsok and their daughter Hanna at a couple races back in 2009 (Putrajaya 70.3 and Laguna Phuket Tri) and they have been so much more than generous to me since before I got here. Opening their home to me for the two weeks I will spend here in Texas. I have been here for 3 days and since arriving I have been to multiple local restaurants, cafes, frozen yoghurt and sporting shops, eaten my body weight in cow last night, cupcakes from a trailer restaurant (local Austin thing!), listened to free live music in a beer garden come park, been to the Austin Symphony oh and I've managed some training too!!! Minsok has been a great training buddy since my arrival, though I am in awe of him as he raced Hawaii last weekend only a week after a minor bike crash Chrisse Wellington style, and yet he still seems to kick my butt up and down the Texan hills and around the running track at the lake, claiming to me his knee is still sore!! What's my excuse?????

So i am on the look out for Lance, his hometown and this weekend is a Livestrong festival where they have a 5km run on Saturday and a 25mile ride today which he apparently leads off! I did see Lyle Lovette at the Mexican place we went to on Friday night so I'm happy I've seen at least one celeb so far.

Austin is a great place to train, although there are 3 lane major roads, the shoulder is huge and the traffic is very tolerant of cyclists. There are some great loops or out and backs that give you some amazing views of the city, the dam and the surrounding areas.... and some nasty little hills if you choose. About 1.5miles from the house you can find Ladybird Lake running trail, where you can do a 3/4/7 mile loop on the trails where it's nicely shaded and there are plenty of water/ toilet stops (very important on my running destinations!). It's probably the most populated running track I've ever encountered (Mooloolaba strip on Australia day eat your heart out!) with joggers, mt bikers, dogs and prams galore! I am still yet to see the famous "Leslie" who apparently rides a cruiser around in nothing but a thong!

Promise I am training! Still getting used to the 25yard pools and converting miles back to kms. So I am really looking forward to Austin 70.3 next weekend. I am on the right track with training at present and will look to have probably another 4 days or so belting it out before a short taper and then a proper taper leading up to Miami 70.3 the following weekend. Bliss is also racing Austin and Minsok tells me if his bike arrives back from Hawaii in time he will probably give it a bash too..... hmmmm the race is on- for not only his bike, but I feel maybe between him and I!

Look out for the Austin 70.3 race report. In the meantime, enjoy the pics from my Austin adventures.

Rachie xo


Running trails at Ladybird Lake

Ladybird Lake


Hey Cupcake!


Hanna eating her cream filled Hey Cupcake!


Bliss and I


Live music in the park/ beer garden in Austin


Austin sky line at night


The Family! Emily (another ring in!), Bliss, Hanna, Minsok & I
Austin Symphony Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment