21.3.11

Home sweet home

Home! What a trip- been away for 13 days, 2 countries, 2 homestays, 2 races and minimal training between the two, so in a funny way I'm feeling a bit lazy!
Singapore 70.3 was yesterday. I pretty much lost all confidence last weekend so went into Singapore 70.3 with very very low expectations. I need to stop studying start lists and working myself into a frenzy with trying to guess the best possible placing I could get come race day. Top 10 was probably realistic but I'd have to give it all that was left in my tank.
The swim was in the ocean and there was quite a strong current we were (mainly) swimming agianst. A bit of a confusing 2 loop (one small one inside a big one) course, I lost the main pack quite quickly and was left swimming solo for the rest of the leg. Always such a good feeling when I get outta there! Onto the bike i acutally found my legs quickly and wondered how long it would last for. I was quite happy with my bike leg as I know it was a hard, solid, solo effort. It's funny how short the 90km TT on the flat, fast course feels after doing the 200km in Abu Dhabi the weekend before. The run, however took me about 12kms to warm up into. I was a bit worried that the chasers were gaining on me. With about 6km to go I thought I was in about 7th place, 6th at best. At the 17km mark I passed Kirsten Molloy and put the hammer down. I couldn't believe it when Whit called me over the line as 5th place Pro female. Turns out Jodie Swallow had pulled out after the bike... and I had just assumed that she was that far in front that i couldn't even see her! (If she had of completed the course she would have embarrassed a few of the pro men!).
I am more than happy with this result. I was still in the money (even if it's not much, better than nothing!) and to pull out this race one week after feeling like i shouldn't even bother trying to do another triathlon makes the 5th place even more of an achievement.
Kudos to Michelle Wu who worked herself up into 3rd place during the run, her ability to push herself to her limit really came out on the course yesterday!
To my amazing homestay family, the Smiths. Susan- i'm missing your cooking sooooo much already, keep those recipes rolling in please. David- thanks for enduring slaps on the wrists for stealing extra papers with my article in it, my grandparents will be stoked! And Lauren- thanks for the photos, your enthusiasm, encouragement, entertainment with the hamster Kim Chi, taking me out training, showing me around the city, carrying all my crap and putting up with my pre-race nerves. Get onto the swim technique chick, good luck with the SAT's and your training/ racing. I'll be back to stay with you again soon :-) Another special thankyou to Donna for being taxi services, lady with the hook ups and for that memorable ride through singapore city's morning traffic!
Home for a little bit now, next race is the end of April, but more on that closer to date.
Rachie xox

No comments:

Post a Comment