11.3.11

Abu Dhabi Preview

Well I’m here so no backing out now! After a last minute stress about my newly printed race suit not showing up the day before I was supposed to leave and a very early trip to the south side of Brisbane to receive it I started the long haul to the UAE. After a brief stopover in Sydney, where I managed to talk my way out of a $200 excess baggage fee (thankyou V-Australia!!!), I quickly nab 3 free seats after take-off and managed about 6hours sleep in between 4 new release movies I’d been meaning to go see. Great trip over J Arriving in Abu Dhabi at about 11pm only myself and about 4 other people weren’t connecting (including Macca and an Aussie guy from TA who was flown over to officiate) I was met by my bubbly homestay lady Sheena who I must thank Justin Rees (the elite co-ordinator for the race) for organising. After a short trip back to her 9th story apartment I met her 4 cats and she showed me T2 and the finish line, that were literally across the road from her place as well as a conveniently located Baskins and Robbins!
The next day we headed out to Yas Marina where the turn around for the bike course was which is next to Ferrari world, a very quiet part of Abu Dhabi with minimal traffic but great roads for riding. Did some loops here and met up with an Ex-Pat Aussie bloke, Troy, who just happened to be an old Maroochydore High boy!!! Small world!!!! Next stop was back at a local beach where Sheena and her friends do open water swim training. It was a small bay, about 750m across. The water is so salty it’s indescribable. Within minutes I felt like my whole mouth was coated with salt and my taste buds were burnt off! After getting out, my skin felt like it was raw from the salt. But not complaining as the buoyancy is awesome! They’re even querying a wetsuit swim so imagine that!
After a little rest I headed out for a little jog around the run course. The weather was mild and the track was quite busy with walkers/ joggers/ bikers and the occasional other elite athlete….. my nerves continue to grow. A nice healthy dinner and back to bed.
Another athlete, Amy Marsh arrived that night that is also home-staying here too. Her bike however didn’t. They have assured her it will arrive tonight, which I’m sure it will, however I don’t think I’d be handling it as well as she is!!! Sheena gave us a real local taste this morning taking us to the 2nd largest mosque in the world here in Abu Dhabi. We dressed up in the formal attire for women, which was a bit of a laugh and had a walk through the women’s pray room, the main prayer room and the women’s wash room. The sheer size of it is deceiving from the road, it is massive! Then to rego where I ran into a couple of other athletes I know, my nerves growing more and more…. Time for a kip! Nothing like a recovery day to try and settle the nerves…well kind of!
Tomorrow is a roll over training day, not much at all really. Do the swim course over in the morning, spin the legs a little and maybe jog a wee bit if I feel. Elite brief, rack, eat, TRY TO CALM DOWN and sleep….
Race report to come….if I live through it!
Rachie xo
Coming outta the salty salty water

The crown prince's private yacht

No comments:

Post a Comment