13.3.11

Lessons learnt in Abu Dhabi

1.       I need to learn how to swim
2.       I need to learn how to bike
3.       I need to learn how to run
4.       I will never EVER do an IM
5.       200km solo in the desert is not fun
6.       I do, however, really believe I have a ‘Never say die’ attitude- there were multiple times yesterday where I could have pulled the pin. For example- just finishing the 2 big loops (ie. 160km) when Julie Dibbens was finishing the 200km. Or when Caroline Steffen was crossing the finish line in 2nd place when I was coming into T2 and still had 20km to run
7.       Re-assessment: yesterday it went from: aim for top 10……to aim to not come last……to just finish the god-dam race

Still I finished- of the professionals only about 23 males of the 40 that started finished and 16 of the 23 females. It was windy but the heat wasn’t as much as an issue as I initially thought it would be.

Had an absolutely fabulous homestay; with the lovely Sheena Thomson. Nice to have company of another athlete, Amy Marsh, who had a bit of a tougher day out there than me, not being able to complete the run leg. You can imagine it was a sombre feel at home last night.

Body actually feels ok which suggests I just didn’t have the push in me yesterday, so hopefully a quick recovery. The most painful/ uncomfortable thing at the moment is the burnt skin off the soles of my feet from running on the hot concrete into T2. Off to Singapore today to get my head back into line, body recovered and re-focus for the 70.3 on Sunday. Lets just say if I wasn’t an angry b***h, I surely am now.

Rachie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment